Thursday, April 9, 2009

WTF? They're casting 'Clash of the Titans'? They're remaking 'Clash of the Titans'?

The Movie Blog tells us that Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes will play Zeus, and Hades respectively in the Warner Bros. remake of Clash of the Titans. I think the casting is spot on because Liam Neeson has a nack for playing very strong, fatherlike figures, and Ralph Fiennes does evil very well. But it isn't the casting that I have a problem with, though I understand why many believe this sort of film is beneath Neeson and Fiennes. I'd agree with them if Laurence Oliver and Maggie Smith hadn't appeared in the original.


My main concern is that I don't know how I feel about this remake. Admittedly I once thought that Clash of the Titans was a pretty middling film. Scratch that. I thought it was fucking awful. But over the years I saw it so often, that the sub-par acting, embarassingly awful costumes, and laughable special effects grew on me. And Medusa frightened me so much as a kid that I refused to look when she appeared onscreen. So, it's a crappy film, that I have a soft spot for.


But this remake doesn't fit into my rule: remakes should only be done for bad movies. Clash of the Titans was crap, but it's a classic that has grown on me. Should the filmmakers touch something this beloved even though the original material is bad? Will the remake be better made, but somehow, less loved? I don't know. I hate having mixed feelings - especially about remakes.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment