Thursday, March 12, 2009

Joe Wright to direct colonial drama

British director Joe Wright will make a return to directing British period pieces with a film adaptation of Alex von Tunzelmann's historical novel, Indian Summer. The novel is set during the final days of British colonial rule in India. It follows Lord Mountbatten's handover of power to India's first prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, in 1947.



I haven't yet seen Joe Wright's upcoming The Soloist yet, but I'm not as drawn to it ans I am to his historical work. He pulled a great performance out of Keira Knightley in Pride and Prejudice, and Atonement was one of my favorite films of 2007. It was a terribly underrated film, and I think its partially due to its marketing. Most expected it to be this huge, sweeping epic love story like The English Patient, but it turned out to be a much more intimate portrait about human flaws and our ability to undo people's lives. Joe Wright should have gotten a best director Oscar nomination, but alas, he didn't.

Casting hasn't been annouced yet, but I like speculating and making up cast lists in my head. I don't know who I would cast as Prime Minister Nehru, but Irrfan Khan is a spectacular actor, despite being too young for the role.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment