Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cronenberg talks 'Eastern Promises' sequel


Pinch me, I must be dreaming. 2007's Eastern Promises was one of my favorite films of that year, and now, there's a sequel announcement that doesn't piss me off. Actually, I'm pretty damn excited. Eastern Promises left things open ended with Mortensen's Russian gangster, Nikolai. I'm not going to spoil you, but if you haven't seen Eastern Promises (a very nude Viggo Mortensen included) go watch it right now. Don't worry...I'll wait. Anyway MTV Movies Blog shares a few of David Cronenberg's thoughts:

“We are moving forward with it,” Cronenberg told MTV News in an exclusive chat. “We all are excited about the idea of doing a sequel.”

The “we” includes Mortensen, who was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar for his role as Nikolai; the film’s screenwriter, Steven Knight; original producer Paul Webster; and original studio, Focus Features.

“We are going to have a meeting very soon between me, Steve Knight and Paul Webster to discuss what the script would be,” Cronenberg said. “I have some very strong ideas about what I would like to see, but I would like to hear what they have to say as well. And then after that, if all goes well, Steve goes away and writes a great script. If we all like it, we make it.”

At this juncture, Cronenberg is simply intrigued by the opportunity to reunite with Mortensen for a third film. “Viggo is a very special guy,” said Cronenberg. “I consider him a personal friend and we communicate all the time. That doesn’t always happen with actors. He’s very serious about his acting. But he’s really a funny guy. We laugh a lot. We giggle a lot.”

Go here to read more.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment