Friday, February 6, 2009

Opening today - Dakota's twofer


He's Just Not That into You
Five years ago I would have raced to see Scarlett Johansson in anything. But romantic comedies do NOTHING for me unless most of the cast has a British accent. Director Ken Kwapis may have directed some episodes of the American version of The Office, but if knowing he also directed License to Wed doesn't have you screaming from the movie theater, I don't know what will.

Coraline
The first of Dakota Fanning's movies (surley we get two tickets for the price of one). Unlike her live action movie, this animated fantasy about a girl who discovers a strange new world, looks promising. The animation is stunning, but that's to be expected from director Henry Selick (The Nightmare Before Christmas). The PG rating means it might scare the crap out of the kids much the same way Nightmare did me. Call it my lust for vengeance unleashed upon a new generation.

The Pink Panther 2
Peter Sellers rolling in his grave aside, expect it to make a bucket load of money. I refused to watch the first Pink Panther with Steve Martin (Clive Owen cameo be damned), and this one looks worse if such a thing is possible. Quelle horreur.

Push
This is not the sensation from Sundance:

“A shadowy government agency is genetically transforming citizens into an army of psychic warriors – and ...disposing of those unwilling to participate.”

Haven't we seen this before? My girl brain is excited about a drool worthy Chris Evans, but with the exception of Sunshine his films are painful to watch. I expect getting through this will be agony.


Limited Release:


Chocolate
With its very limited release the DVD won't be far behind its US release. It does sound interesting – there aren't exactly a lot of Western films about an ass kicking girl with autism, who takes on an organized crime ring:



Fanboys
Everything I know about this movie leaves me pretty fucking irritated. Star Wars fanboys going on a road trip in 1999 to watch Episode I? Before I go into my own fangirl tirade (fuck you Jar Jar) I have to ask: why does the Weinstein Company hate us?

Jump right in with a comment. Which film are you planning on seeing this weekend? Got a review of any of them (which to steer clear of, which to watch)?

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment